Layoverland- Gabby Noone
Expected 1/21/20
Two teens, one stuck atoning for her sins and one destined for heaven, fall in love in purgatory in this darkly hilarious and heartfelt rom-com, perfect for fans of The Good Place.
The Circus- Jonas Karlsson*
Expected 1/28/20
A real-life vanishing act leaves one man looking for his missing friend in this clever, Kavkaesque novel of psychological suspense from the acclaimed author of The Room and The Invoice.
The Invoice had an interesting premise- what if everything that made you happy cost money? However there was a lot of thinking and talking, and mostly just between two people, so if you're looking for action or intrigue, this isn't the book for you.
The Girl With the Louding Voice- Abi Dare
Expected 2/25/20
A powerful, emotional debut novel told in the unforgettable voice of a young Nigerian woman who is trapped in a life of servitude but determined to get an education so that she can escape and choose her own future.
The Small Crimes of Tiffany Templeton- Richard Fifield*
Expected 3/10/20
The Serpent King meets Girl in Pieces in this moving and darkly funny story about a teenage girl coming of age and learning how to grieve in small-town Montana.
I'd previously read The Flood Girls, Fifield's debut novel. I'd loved his writing so much that I actually started following him on Twitter. This was a classic redemption story, and I loved the small town feel, getting to know all the townspeople, and all of the early 90's and book references. The ending broke my Grinchy heart into a billion tiny little pieces.
My Dark Vanessa- Kate Elizabeth Russell
Expected 3/10/20
Exploring the psychological dynamics of the relationship between a precocious yet naïve teenage girl and her magnetic and manipulative teacher, a brilliant, all-consuming read that marks the explosive debut of an extraordinary new writer.
The House in the Cerulean Sea- T.J. Klune
Expected 3/17/20
An enchanting story, masterfully told, The House in the Cerulean Sea is about the profound experience of discovering an unlikely family in an unexpected place—and realizing that family is yours.
Last Couple Standing- Matthew Norman*
Expected 3/17/20
A couple determined not to end up like their divorced friends try a radical experiment—and get in way over their heads—in this hilarious, heartfelt novel from the author of We’re All Damaged.
I'd picked up We're All Damaged because it was a freebie and the description sounded pretty funny. I was literally laughing out loud at the one-liners in this book. I thought Daisy was the perfect push for Andy, and though her story seemed a little odd overall, I definitely did not see the twist coming.
Wow, No Thank You.- Samantha Irby*
Expected 3/31/20
A new rip-roaring essay collection from the smart, edgy, hilarious, unabashedly raunchy, and bestselling Samantha Irby about aging, marriage, settling down with step-children in white, small-town America, health food and skincare obsessions, money trouble, the real story of glamorous Hollywood life and more.
Irby's previous collection of essays, We Are Never Meeting In Real Life. had me laughing out loud. Though she often pokes fun at herself, she did so in a way that was relatable (I mean, I fear dying alone in my messy apartment for fear of judgement too, girl. I feel ya). Just know going in that there are some graphic sex scenes with both sexes, and more than a sprinkling of f-bombs.
The Familiar Dark- Amy Engel*
Expected 3/31/20
A spellbinding story of a mother with nothing left to lose who sets out on an all-consuming quest for justice after her daughter is murdered on the town playground.
I'd read Engel's previous novel, The Roanoke Girls, after getting an ARC from Netgalley. Hard to admit I "really liked" such a messed up story, but it was so twisted and well written. Engel just punches you in the gut sometimes and I had to read passages a few times thinking "wait... did that seriously just happen?" especially in the beginning. Even with all of the sickening actions/behaviors, I remained fully engrossed and invested in the characters.
Something She's Not Telling Us- Darcey Bell*
Expected 4/7/20
From the New York Times bestselling author of A Simple Favor comes an electrifying domestic thriller of how one woman’s life is turned upside down when her brother brings his new girlfriend to visit—and no one is telling the truth about who they really are. She’s on the verge of having it all… But one woman stands in her way.
Something She's Not Telling Us- Darcey Bell*
Expected 4/7/20
From the New York Times bestselling author of A Simple Favor comes an electrifying domestic thriller of how one woman’s life is turned upside down when her brother brings his new girlfriend to visit—and no one is telling the truth about who they really are. She’s on the verge of having it all… But one woman stands in her way.
I originally wanted to read her previous novel, A Simple Favor, before watching the movie, and it was really suspenseful. I found myself re-reading sections like "Wait, what? Did that just really happen?" It was filled with unlikable characters and definitely had me guessing until the very end.



No comments:
Post a Comment