Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Show Us Your Books: March Reads

Hello friends! Unlike my diverse reads last month, this month I stuck to mainly YA (with one classic thrown in, for a reading challenge). Make sure to link up with the hosts so I can see what you've been reading too! 

On the Come Up- Angie Thomas: 5 Stars
Category: 52 Weeks Book featuring music, PopSugar Book that should be a movie, BCBE Bonus Freebie
library e-book


Image result for on the come up

I was unsure how to rate this one since I had given THUG 5 stars, but I liked this one even more. I think one thing I've seen other readers comment on was feeling a disconnect with these characters and storyline, but I didn't feel that way at all. I don't listen to rap music, but each time Bri mentioned a song, I played it immediately to get a full sense of what she was describing. I think that swayed me quite a bit. I also liked all the nerd talk (particularly the Star Wars bits). Such a well-told, important (and timely) story.

The Sun Is Also a Star- Nicola Yoon: 5 Stars
Category: BCBE/ Soon to be a movie
library e-book 


Image result for the sun is also a star

Loved the alternating POVs, and bits of brief histories. Loved the short chapters. Loved all of connections. And always love a good HEA! Can't wait to see the movie. 

Two Can Keep a Secret- Karen McManus: 4.5 Stars
Category: 52 Weeks/PopSugar Book Published in 2019
library e-book


Image result for two can keep a secret

Another one I was skeptical about because I enjoyed the author's debut so much, but this one was equally as good. Just like the other one, I had no idea about the ending until the absolute last sentence. And even then I needed a lot of time to digest! Solid psychological YA thriller. 

Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating- Christina Lauren: 4 Stars
Category: PopSugar Book Written by Two Female Authors, 52 Weeks Starts with "J"
library e-book


Image result for josh and hazel's guide to not dating

My first Christina Lauren- finally! And I totally get all the hype! It reminded me a little of an updated and younger When Harry Met Sally. I thought the character development and growth was excellent and the dating stories funny, but also heartbreaking because I wanted Josh and Hazel together. Romantic comedy at its best. Can't wait to read more from this dynamic duo! 

The Field Guide to the North American Teenager- Ben Phillipe: 4 Stars
Category: BCBE Cardinal Direction in Title, Author Debut, Setting in Southern U.S.
library hardback


Image result for the field guide to the north american teenager
"To my mother, Belzie. I would have made a terrible doctor, Mom. People would have died."  
"He had a literal red neck and close-cropped hair hiding a prematurely receding hairline. It was a strong recession too. Like Obama's first term."  
"She smiled at him. 'Look, you still like her, right?'Norris nodded in spite of himself. He did. At this point, life would be much simpler if he didn't, but even the brief second that he'd seen her in the cafeteria had been enough to make his heart skip a stupid beat. Arrhythmia was giving a confirmation that there was still some active liking in his bloodstream."  
"'Do you think you're a good liar?' she asked, checking her watch again. 'Because you're not. Your face is like a pop-up book for every feeling in there.'"

I didn’t like the ending, but it left me feeling... hopeful? Overall I loved Norris and everything else about this story! I liked all of the pop culture references, particularly the movies- Can't Hardly Wait, 10 Things I hate About You, Mean Girls, Beverly Hills: 90210, Friday Night Lights. A great debut and I hope to read more by this author. 



The Adventures of Tom Sawyer- Mark Twain: 3 Stars
Category: BCBE Published 100+ Years Ago, 52 Weeks Challenge Author Who Uses a Pseudonym, MMD Published Before I Was Born
Kindle Unlimited


Image result for the adventures of tom sawyer

If it weren’t for Erin's challenge I would have quit at 21%; it was sooo slow and didn’t pick up for me until nearly 60%. I guess I just don't like stories about kids? I don't know, but none of it really grabbed me and made me want to keep reading until more than halfway through. Even by the end I didn't really care about the characters. I haven't read Huck Finn yet, but I can already imagine why this is the less popular of the two. 


Currently reading: The Paris Wife- Paula McLain

What are you reading? 
Linking up with Steph and Jana

Life According to Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment