Tuesday, March 27, 2018

My Current Makeup Favorites



One of my 101 goals was to find my "holy grail" in make-up products, and by George, I think I've done it! I can't say it's my "daily" makeup, because I don't wear makeup every day. Most days, I'm lucky if I put gloss on, and I'm okay with that. But if I'm going out out, like for a date night or night out where I know there will be lots of photos, this is what I put on.


Face Primer: NYX Studio Prefect Photo-Loving Primer. Honestly, I have 0 experience with trying different ones. This one was recommended somewhere and seems to work when I remember to put it on!

Concealer: Sephora's Bright Future gel-serum concealer in Creme Caramel (13). I literally walked up to a salesperson in Sephora and asked her to help me find a concealer that was easy to apply and actually matched me. Enter this gel-serum. It's like magic; the sponge tip applicator makes it better able to just add a touch, it blends easily and covers extremely well. I can wear this alone when I need to cover up a blemish or with other products. I always carry this with me. 

Foundation: My absolute favorite is Maybelline's Fit Me Collection in Toffee (330). I usually mix some of the liquid concealer with a drop of moisturizer for smoother application. A new-to-me favorite is Maybelline's Super Stay Better Skin powder foundation in Rich Tan (80). I received this in one of my beauty boxes, and though I prefer liquid concealers to powder ones, this one with salicylic acid actually helps with acne while it's on. The sponge applicator that it comes with works great for applying it evenly, and it matches me really well. Win! 

Blush: MAC Blush in Flirt n' Tease. It's discontinued, but I found it on Ebay and bought stock. It's the perfect natural looking flushed cheeks look and I love the slight shimmer it adds too. 

Eye Primer: The coveted Urban Decay Original Eyeshadow Primer Potion, obvi. 

Eyeshadow: For on the go, I like the e.l.f. baked trio in Peach Please. Otherwise, I've been using the Urban Decay Naked palette for years. I love the colors and the slight shimmer. I think it's old or I need to change/wash the brush though because recently when I wear it, my left eyelid gets swollen the next day. Like, Quasimoto-scary puffy. It doesn't hurt, but it's definitely unpleasant. And even though I may love the colors, I certainly don't use half of them. I'm in the market for a smaller palette that's easier to carry around. 

Eyeliner: I like the Rimmel Soft Kohl Kajal Eyeliner Pencil in Jet Black, but sometimes it smudges even when I use the primer. Then I tried Blue's eyeliner and WOW. Estee Lauder's Pure Color Intense Kajal Eyeliner in Blacked Black stays put for hours, and the application is smooth and more concise. 

Mascara: I'm not married to any particular mascara. I like Too Faced Better Than Sex because it doesn't clump and makes my lashes look longer. I also like Maybelline's Volum' Express The Falsies Push Up Drama for maximum volume. 

Lips: For everyday, I just wear Smith's Minted Rose Lip Balm, which feels more like a gloss. For nighttime date nights/going out, I love Revlon's Absolutely Fabulous in Temptress. For daytime, I like Maybelline Color Sensational The Buffs in Maple Kiss. 

Setting Spray: Just like with primer, I often forget setting spray altogether, especially since I'm usually in a rush and apply it too soon after I apply my mascara, causing it to leave a lovely bit under my eyes. I own the e.l.f. Makeup Mist and Set and it seems to get the job done. Also the Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe, Herbs and Rosewater smells lovely and feels refreshing. 


------------------------------------------------------------------------
As you can see, most of my products are drugstore brands. For me, these work great and I don't feel the need to spend a ton on makeup when I hardly ever wear it anyway. The only department store products I've owned or used were purchased for me as gifts (except that eyeliner, though it may be discontinued? Why else would Walmart sell Estee Lauder?!). 

Linking up with The Blended Blog! Also, don't forget that there's still time to grab some deals in Ulta's 21 Days of Beauty sale now through April 4th! 

6 comments:

  1. So many people rave about the Fit Me collection. Makes me want to try it! I love the urban decay primer and naked shadow collections. I keep forgetting to get the Mario Badescu spray. It has been on my list for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all about drug store brands - I aint got time to drive out of my way to pay more money for things ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Too Faced BTS mascara too. I don't wear much makeup, but when I do I definitely use the UD primer for my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of a lash primer - I will try that. And a setting spray is such a great idea that I haven't tried either! Thanks so much for linking up with The Blended Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing! Also I love that most of the brands you listed are drugstore finds. I don't think you always need to spend a lot to get similar results (and to be honest, I don't know if I myself would benefit from spending 3x the price on mascara).

    Also I totes need to up my makeup game :) Will look into this concealer. My face is breaking out something fierce lately!

    ReplyDelete
  6. NYX also makes something called angel pore (I think) that's a pretty good primer. It makes me breakout, though. Sigh.
    I'm a big fan of the UD eyeshadow primer, Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara (although it's $$$), and the Mario Badescu facial spray.
    Essence makes some killer mascara, too!

    ReplyDelete